Monday, July 1, 2013

Reds Thoughts 7/1

So how do I feel about where the Reds currently are in 2013?  Well, I feel about the same way I thought I would feel, calm but worried.  I knew that this feeling would last all year.  It's tough to be a fan of a team with the highest of expectations.  If the Reds win it all, they were suppose to, if they lose, then they are failures.  I'm not going to say winning a World Series wouldn't be one of the coolest things ever as a fan, but there will be some people out there that will say they were suppose to win it, which takes a little of the excitement away.  We're only halfway and if the season ended right now, the Reds would be in the playoffs.  Not where they want to be, being 5.5 games out of first, but the playoffs is where they need to be, so it's not a failure as of now.  Some observations on a few players at this point in the season...

JOEY VOTTO - This guy is three things.  A great baseball player, a tough competitor, and a freaking headcase.  Never seen such a good hitter look so stupid at the plate at times.  Granted it's not that often, but he sometimes mindfucks himself out of an entire at bat.  Thinks too much.  Every fan has one player he rides when they are frustrated, Votto's my guy, he aggravates me.

JAY BRUCE - Early in the year you could tell he was trying to go opposite field a lot.  That's what people have been telling him to do for years, and by people, I mean fans.  Well, he did, but that obviously took away his power numbers.  He's pulling the ball again and he's hitting bombs and doubles.  So ya, hitting to all fields isn't always the answer, especially in a small park like GABP.

BRANDON PHILLIPS - Driving in runs like a champ, playing D like a champ, but you can't be missing games on the paternity list, ha.

MAT LATOS - Ace, love the guy.  He is a badass.  He rubbed me the wrong way a little last year, thought he was just a cocky selfish dude.  But now, I can tell he's just a competitor and wants to win.  He's always pumping up his teammates.  He's the kind of guy that if he was a Cardinal I would hate him like no other, but he's not, so I'm glad he's a Red.

TODD FRAZIER - Been saying it since early last year, this dude is not the answer.  Seems like a cool guy and a team player, but he has the biggest hole in a swing I've ever seen.  He CANNOT hit the outside curve.  He's lunging so bad that his helmet almost falls.  He is trying so hard to make contact with it that he is just rolling over into double plays every chance he gets.  He plays a good third and he hits mistake pitches so he'll have a career, I just don't think he'll be the Reds answer at third for the future, not even close. 

47-36 with a nice win tonight.  Great start by Arroyo.  Could this be the game that gets the bats kick started?  Maybe, the Giants are struggling, so this is about as good of a chance as ever.  Bailey tomorrow, he needs to get it going, I think he will.

Til next time, thanks for reading.

P.S.  We'll try to post something the rest of the way, this is going to be a fun ride.

Curt

No comments:

Post a Comment