Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Status Update Anyone?

Ok, another day of games in the books, at least the ones that matter in this exercise.  Four teams are now dead and can no longer win the title.  They are all from the Horizon league, which started its conference tourney Tuesday night.  Those teams are; Green Bay, Wright State, Loyola (IL), and Illinois-Chicago.  All the top seeds won, no upsets to speak of tonight.  That puts us at 39 teams dead, and 305 still alive. 

I was thinking, we need to have a couple more categories for this thing.  What happens when a team loses in its tourney but is still on the bubble?  I was thinking, staying with the dead or alive theme, we will put these teams in the Zombie category.  I figure you lose and you feel like you're dead, but you're still somewhat alive, haunting the other teams that are still somewhat alive, making you a Zombie.  Dumb?  Probably, but that's what we are going to use from here on out.  We'll also have to keep track of teams that have earned the automatic bids and teams that we all know will get an at large once they have been ousted from their own tourneys.  So right now it looks like this...

ALIVE                      305
ZOMBIE                     0
AUTO                         0
AT LARGE LOCK     0

DEAD                        39

TOTAL                     344
(Remember, we won't add you as an at large lock until you lose your conference tourney.)

Tourneys starting on Wednesday....

Atlantic Sun
I think I'm going to go with Mercer in this one.  Belmont won the regular season crown and beat Mercer twice, but I'll go with the old adage, you can't beat a good team three times in one season.  No other reason than that, well, other than the fact that I don't want to pick the one seed every time.

Patriot
Lehigh is my pick here.  They have won nine out of ten and beat Bucknell on the road during that streak.  The title game will probably be on Bucknells home court, so we know Lehigh can win there.

Ohio Valley
Hmmm, I think I'll go with Murray State in this one.  They get a bye to the semi's so that helps.  I just don't see how they can lose.  I could pick against them just for fun, but what is the point when you know you'll just be wrong?

West Coast
This will be a really good tourney.  The top four teams in this conference can each beat one another.  St. Mary's and Gonzaga should meet in the final but it's definitely not a given.  I think I'm going to take BYU in this one.  The tourney is in Vegas so none of the top teams have any kind of homecourt advantage.  I think that levels the playing ground and makes it one of those tourneys that anyone can win.

Wednesday has the chance to knock out well over a dozen teams.  Pretty much from here on out we'll be taking out double digits worth of teams daily.  Here we go....

Curt

P.S.  You know who took a step toward going back to the dance tonight, right?

Image Detail

Comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment